sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My husband and I have a 1996 Buick Skylark Limited that is

Customer Question

My husband and I have a 1996 Buick Skylark Limited that is have intermittent starting issues. Some days it will start beautifully, others we come out to a dead battery. We bought a new battery and as long as we unhook one of the terminals, it doesn't drain. One mechanic said it needed a new ECM. I don't believe that because once you jump it and it's started, it runs great.
Category: Buick
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer!
It's definitely possible that the problem is the PCM. If the problem was diagnosed in person by a reputable shop I wouldn't really have a reason to doubt them.
Something is staying awake when the key is off and everything should be asleep. It could be a light that is staying on or coming on by itself such as a glovebox light, it could be a module that is staying awake, the alternator itself could have an internal failure that's causing it to draw current while it isn't charging.
What needs to be done is an ignition off draw test. An ammeter will need to be set up between a disconnected battery cable and it's post, if the draw is present then fuses will need to be removed one at a time to see when the draw drops and then concentrate on components on that circuit.