Gary
Gary, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years master GM tech and mater ASE tech
19513769

I, am allmost certain my waterpump is bad. PROGRESSIVE OVER

Customer Question

I, am allmost certain my waterpump is bad. PROGRESSIVE OVER HEATING started as minor, got worse and worse. changed thermostat. Fans coming on. No visible flow when I remove the radiator cap. anything complicated about R&R waterpump? aalso what bolt head sizes?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
what year is this Buick ? model ?engine size ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1998 Riviera 3.8 SC 209,000 miles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your name Gary? Mine too
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
yes Garynice to meet youthere is not much more to cause this other then the water pump or head gaskets causing this issueusually if you pick up a chemical test kit called block tester sold at most auto parts stores will test for any compression getting into the coolant as the kit will measure for any emissions in the coolantif it shows up positive the head gaskets will need to be changedif it shows good then replace the water pump like you were planning on changingthere is nothing too complicated other than removing the 2 power steering pump bolts through the front holes in the pulley and laying the pump aside to access the water pump bolt hidden by the pumpRemove the A/C compressor splash shield.Drain the cooling systemRemove the supercharger beltRemove the accessory drive belt. Remove the coil pack. Position the coil pack out of the way.Remove the supercharger belt tensioner. Remove the engine mountRemove the power steering pump.Remove the engine mount bracket. Refer to Engine Mount Bracket Replacement.Remove the idler pulley. Remove the water pump pulley.Remove the water pump.Clean all of the gasket mating surfaces.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What size sockets will I need?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
8 , 10 , 13 and 15for the mount 16 , 17 and 18 depending on if the mount has been changed as sometimes the sizes where changed on some of those mountsbut a basic metric set from 8 - 19 MILL will do the job and most kits are sold with that size groups
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Going to check head gaskets now. Knew that is the only other thing it could be. Didnt kit!know about the kit!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. As usual my problem is finding my tools. I:ll get back to you
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
anytimeyou can always get me back through this post for free for any follow up anytime with this question even after you rate us here at Justanswer !