Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

Had f/r rotors and pads replaced on 05 taraza. Rears sqwuel

Customer Question

Had f/r rotors and pads replaced on 05 taraza. Rears sqwuel when baacking up all the time. Garage replaced pads on rears, did it still. Garage replaced rotors /pads still does it. waasup?
Category: Buick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Does it seem to do it going around corners more? Can you do any driving maneuver to make it stop or quiet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It only happens backing up (straight) in reverse.Once in drive moving forward (no sound).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This didn't happen previosly in 110k miles.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Is this an all wheel drive model?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

I suspect you have a wheel bearing going bad on the rear. or the rotor is hitting something

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since the vehicle was new , If I back up and stop dead shifting into drive and move forward right away , the rear brakes seem to lock up and than release with a loud bang after a second. The dealer thought that was normal.If I back up and slowly put on the brakes and just before stopping release the brake pedal and shifting into drive allow the tranny to stop me , than no hessitation or bang,just go forward normally. Those callipers seem slow.. Can this be related?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Yes its possible that it is related. Couple of things I would look at. Make sure calipers move freely. They should slide on pins with very little resistance. When up on jack apply brakes and make sure wheels spin as soon a pedal released. You could have a hydraulic problem causing fluid pressure to not be released.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will try to check thesse out today.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sam, Checked brake release by hand with engine running, both sides good and quick. But, spining tires in park by hand showed right side very easy,left side 50% harder turning. Dry bearing? Could not tell any problems trying to shake tires back and forth for loose bearings.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to remove caliper? Sounds like you have a sticking caliper. Or slide. If you can remove caliper I would try spinning and see if it's easier. If it is that will tell you that your problems is brakes. Either caliper sticking. Slide pins sticking.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Did you figure anything out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sam, In the process of removing caliper,I found the emergency brake was tight .I set and released the pedal. Then rotor would turn easy a half a turn but hard the other half. i was able to remove the rotor,pins and slider was easy. With caliper off, the rotor turned 360 very easy, Bearing is good .Loosened up emergency brake cable . put everything back together and wheel turned very easy. Started car and backed up and left side squeled . will check wheel rotation again tomorrow.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like we are getting this narrowed down. Where did you get the rear brake pads? Are they semi metallic or ceramic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to call the professinals that installed them tomorrow. I assumed they were ceramic like the originals.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

If they are ceramic the likely hood of a squeak is very little. I suspect they are semi metallic.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
7 /24 Made the call and the mech. said they put in ceramics all 3 times, same company. I jacked it up and the wheel turned easy 360. Backed it out of the garage with lite pressure on pedal and left rear squelled big time. Could that parking brake have warped something, like the pad? No rust on rotor.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

So it doesnt squeak when you are turning it? unless you are applying the parking brake it wouldnt be squeaking. this has the drum brakes inside the rear rotor for the parking brake. I am suspect that the brake pads are to blame. Please note all of the mounting surfaces and the pads where they contact any metal mounting should be lubricated using a sil glyde or brake lubricant. If they are not lubed they will squeak.