Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE since 1980
3506196

Buick Lucerne: ; I have a 2006 Buick Lucerne that has

Customer Question

Hi;
I have a 2006 Buick Lucerne that has 4 wheel disc brakes with ABS. We took it to a tire shop to get new front tires and front end alignment. When we got the car back, we noticed that there is a grindind sound when applying the brake in normal dry road conditions at very slow speed. When you are coming to an intersection, slowing down just before coming to a stop the grinding sound starts and you loose brake pedal. This continues until you are at a total stop. This problem happens infrequently (about 3 of 10 stops) This problem has never turned on the ABS light and the computer shows no trouble codes. I took the car to the local chevy dealer and the mechanic told me the left front wheel speed sensor was bad. I replaced the wheel hub assy. and the wire harness with delco OEM parts. The problem went away for one day and started again. Any ideas???
Category: Buick
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 1 year ago.
good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assistI assume it is a*****? did you replace all the tires??? it sounds like the abs is activating below 5 mph to stopping. if the tires are a different size or have different depth tread, the rolling circumference will be different the abs will react to this. Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it is not***** it has 4 wheel disc brakes. After putting new tires on the rear the problem is still there.
ok, what about the other questions I asked about the size and tread depth??? Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All tires are new, same brand, same size and same tread depth
ok, so the fronts are new as well. the abs system needs to be monitored to see which wheel is applying before causing the actuation below 5 mph. that will narrow down the area to be checked. Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How is this done???
with a scan tool that can access the abs system and watch each wheel rotation. Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Thank you.
your welcome. you can see if a parts store will rent you a scan tool so you can monitor this system..
please dont forget to rate me as this is the only way we get paid for our efforts.
Roy