Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Buick Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Buick Diagnostics
18617752

Buick Lacrosse: How to replace a serpentine belt on a 2012

Customer Question

How to replace a serpentine belt on a 2012 Buick LaCrosse e-assist
Category: Buick
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
To replace the Serpentine Belt on this vehicle will require the use of a special tool: Hydraulic Belt Tensioner Compressor. You can usually rent this tool from most local "big chain" part stores. For easier viewing/printing, I've wrapped up the repair manual procedure into a PDF file. Download the PDF file ((HERE)). Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tension spring on my car doesn't look like the diagram you sent. I don't know where to put the spring tension tool.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
In the PDF file I sent, the first image shows the tensioner (after the air cleaner assembly is removed). In the rest of the images, this shows the tensioner tool installed on the tensioner. In THIS IMAGE, it shows the tesnioner assembly and the red arrows point to where the tool is installed. Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I take both bolts and the spring out? How do I know when it's ready as the old belt is not on.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. You do not remove the spring, just the "stopper" as shown in teh first step/picture in the PDF file. Once compressed, the belt will loosen and you can slide it off the pulleys.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There isn't a stopper
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if no stopper, no need to worry. As it states in the PDF file, some engines had them and some didn't. If it was there, it needed to be removed. Continue on to step #3 of the PDF.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the stopper the #2 bolt in the diagram withe red arrows? Also could you resend the original PDF. I got called away and couldn't work on it this afternoon. Thx.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
No. In the image with the red arrows, this was to highlight and close-up the tensioner assembly and the red arrows show where the tool is installed to. In the PDF file, the stopped is shown in the very first image right below "Remove Air Cleaner Assembly". I can re-upload the PDF file for you ((HERE)). Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tensioner tool is basically a breaker bar with sockets or crows feet. The tensioner spring has two bolts, one on top and one on the bottom as shown in the picture you sent. How do I attach the tool that has one socket to the spring that has two bolts? It's obvious that I am missing something.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
From what you are describing- you have the wrong tensioner tool. The one with the socket and the long handle will not work on this type of setup. You'll need tensioner tool #EN-48932 which looks more like a little spring compressor, as shown in the PDF file.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I 'll try to find one.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
You should be able to order it by the tool number. I just did a google search by the tool number alone, and the correct tool popped up. Looks like THIS