Gary
Gary, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years master GM tech and mater ASE tech
19513769

Buick Enclave CXL: ! We are on the road from Denver to TX

Customer Question

Hi! We are on the road from Denver to TX and the engine hot. AC off warning is showing. I think the gauge is off since it's only at 160.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.
I am sorry for the long wait
if you stop and let it cool down for 30 minutes will it still do this ?
and the engine temp is fine at 160 ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi! We stopped for about 15 mins and added more coolant but it's still giving us the warning. The engine is not actually hot, even though it says it is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fan continues to run once it shuts off.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
how much coolant did you have to add ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think that we had to really add it, so not very much.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband thinks it's just the temperature gauge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to fix that without taking it in since we are on the road, it's a holiday and it's hot out here!?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
if this engine is loosing coolant i would not drive it much at all when the AC off is displayed the computer is seeing engine coolant temp above where it should be and will display this message this is being caused by the coolant loss or possibly like you said the coolant temp reading being offif you did not have to add any coolant and the coolant is full and the engine temp is reading normal then it should be ok to drive but with a trip like you are taking it is best to get this to a shop so they can check and see what is telling the computer to shut off the AC and display that messageif you are not near a garage for them to check it then you can try to clear out the codes by disconnecting both battery cables for 5 minutes then touch the 2 battery cables together for 2 minutes then reconnect the cables to the battery and see if everything works fineif it does not reset the AC or if it acts up again in a few hundred miles it has to get into the shop
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
let me know how you make out
you can always get me back through this post anytime for free with any follow up with this question even after you rate us here at Justanswer !