Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years as a Tech
7276279

I have a 2003 buick century 3.1 dies while driving like its

Customer Question

i have a 2003 buick century 3.1 dies while driving like its losing throttle changed fuel pump and fuel filter and tps still dies while driving can ya help
Category: Buick
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
In order to determine what is causing the stalling concern you are going to need to determine if you are loosing spark or injector pulse and also you need to check the fuel pressure while the problem is occurring from the new pump. Normal fuel pressure need to be right at 42 to 56 PSI. Check these thing and let me know the results as well as scanning the computer and post back with any fault codes as well and we can work from there to get this resolved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there are no codes coming up at all

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Sean, Have you hooked a fuel gauge up and rechecked your fuel pressure on the new pump while the problem is occurring?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no not yet going to do that today will let u no what I have

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Okay let me know the results and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still have not checked fuel pressure as I don't have a way to monitor it while driving down the highway, but I replaced the crank sensor and it ran just fine for a whole day then the next day it died on the highway again. I don't think it's a fuel pump issue as this is what it was doing before the fuel pump got replaced and I'm starting to think it never was the problem. Also it will not die unless driving down the highway. I can't get it to act up at an idle. I'm thinking it's a bad sensor that for some reason isn't storing a code or it's the PCM?

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Sean, in most cases if there is a sensor issue and or the connection to it the computer will set and store a fault code. One way you may be able to narrow it down is to check and see what you are losing when it stalls, check to see if you have spark and injector pulse if you are sure its not a fuel pressure concern.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeah but could the PCM be bad to where whatever sensor may be bad is trying to throw the code and it's not seeing it so it doesn't store it?

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
It is possible but not very likely, usually if the PCM is bad it will not run at all.