Amedee
Amedee, Buick Mechanic
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Buick lucerne: i recently had a fuel pump relay replaced

Customer Question

hi i recently had a fuel pump relay replaced on my 2009 buick lucerne, after a week, it failed/burnt...the dealer i got the car from says that they need to replace the box because putting another relay will cause it to burn again? it does not make sense to me , could it be that they possibly made some errors when replacing the relay?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for requesting me! What the dealer is telling you is true. This is actually a very common problem. The entire fuse block or power distribution center needs to get replaced. This is the correct fix.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
In fact, have them check the amp draw on the circuit as wel because if there is too many amps being pulled through the fuel pump relay, it will also cause this problem as well.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
I am glad I can help! Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "excellent service" for answering your question.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
It has been a pleasure working with you!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, then why did they bother replacing the relay from the beginning? if it was gonna burn the relay, do the relays for the fuel pump not being made to be fit for this block/power center? is it a manufacturing issue?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
I dont know why they just replaced the relay only. You are going to have to ask them.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
YES, it is a bad design, that is why it is a common problem and these are going bad a lot
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Lauren,
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance? Let me know!
Customer