Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE since 1980
3506196

Buick LeSabre Limited: I have a 2001 laSabre that will not

Customer Question

I have a 2001 laSabre that will not keep running. It seems to fire right away, but sputters and dies quickly. The gas pressure is about 55 psi. It has new plugs and wires.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 1 year ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist
did you watch the fuel pressure while it stalls??? did it stay steady at 55 and not drop???
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the key in the on position the gas pressure initially goes to 55. After a couple seconds it drops to about 48 and holds steady. While starting and trying to run the gas pressure is about 50. It jumps around a bit, but it is running very rough and then dies after 3 or 4 seconds.
ok, 48-55 is the spec.
does the pressure go down while engine is stalling??? want to make sure you are not loosing the pressure.
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it jumps around a lot, but doesn't appear to go below 48 or so. It actually goes to 46 with the key on before trying to start it, but it is solid at that point. Once I try starting it and as it sputters the pressure jumps around mostly above 50.
ok, I dont think you understand me. when the event happens and slows down and stalls, does the fuel pressure remain constant at 50 or does it drop way down??? Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The gas pressure does not drop. There is no "event". The car does not run. I might sputter for 3 or 4 seconds when trying to start it, but that is it. I do not think it is starving for fuel, if anything it seems flooded. The exhaust smells of fuel. I have pulled the plugs and let it sit for days in between attempts to start thinking it may be flooded, but not help.
ok, on the fuel rail is a pressure regulator. attached to it is a vacuum line. remove the vacuum lne and see if the line is full of fuel. turn the key on and see if fuel leaks out of it. it is a common failure for flooding conditions. Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately no fuel in the vacuum line.
ok, then it is possible that you have a bad injector. do you have an ohm meter to ohm out each injector??? Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I have a meter. They all have a resistance of 11.9 to 12.1 ohms between the two leads.
ok, the resistance is good. it could still be one that is leaking extra fuel into the manifold. I would lift up the rail with all attached and turn the key on and see if all or any are not dripping fuel Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulled the fuel rail up, turned the key on and I do not see any fuel dripping.
ok, when you get it all back together. try spraying some carb cleaner into the air filter when it tries to start and see if it stays running Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried the carb cleaner, no luck.
ok, you need to check for spark. check at the coil for spark
Roy