FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Buick Regal LS: My 99 Buick Regal LS has a broken front passenger

Customer Question

My 99 Buick Regal LS has a broken front passenger window. The regulator had a twisted cable, so I replaced the whole assembly. Nothing. The master window switch on the drivers door had a bad window lock, so I replaced that whole switch. Nothing. The other three windows work great. What do I do?
Category: Buick
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank s for the question. This can be caused by a number of faults in the circuit. Do you happen to have a voltage meter to run some tests?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, sorry. I have a test light.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually I have a multimeter but don't know how to use it. Also have a 12v test light
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
We need to see if there is voltage at the connector to the window motor that is not working. The test light will not give us a good reading of what the voltage actually is, but it is a start. On the two wire connector at the motor see which of the wires light the test light when you press the window switch up and down. If there is voltage then the motor you got is bad. If not then we need to find where it is losing voltage which may be where the wires enter the door.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are the two wires hot and ground, or do I ground it elsewhere.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried and do not seem to have power, but my son said he thought it was working yesterday.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
One wire will be power in one direction and then ground in the other. When you test it you need to put the test light on a separate ground. If you are not showing voltage then you are losing it someplace between the master switch that the passenger switch. The power comes from the child window lock on the driver door switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the passenger side switch have to be connected to complete the circuit? I have been testing the window using the driver master switch. The passenger door panel and switch are off the car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you told me the power came from the window lock to the PASSENGER switch, that was the clue I needed. Once I installed the passenger door panel, problem solved. I wanted to test it all before reassembly, and that was the problem. Thanks!
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
I am glad it is all better. Sorry I did not get back with you sooner, but as you saw the passenger switch does need to complete the circuit. If you need anything else please let me know. Please rate when you can also. Thank you.