Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. certified
20625509

Buick LaCrosse: I bought a 2005 Buick Lacrosse in March of

Customer Question

I bought a 2005 Buick Lacrosse in March of this year. Has 39K miles on it. Two weeks after I bought it the car wouldn't start one day. I was towed to the dealer and they said the fuse to the fuel pump was bad and they replaced it. 3-4 weeks later the same thing happened again. This time I removed the fuse (#22), put it back in again and the car started up immediately. Then 2-3 weeks later (last week), the car stalled on me (first time to stalled). The check engine light also came on. I again removed the #22 fuse for a few minutes, put it back in and the car started right up. I was only a few blocks from home when it stalled. I took it to my regular mechanic, explained what had been going on, etc. He ran tests that pointed to a bad crank shaft, which he replaced. But still the car stalls intermittently, sometimes won't start, other times starts with no problem. The mechanic still has the car and is trying to figure out what's wrong. Any ideas?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
If everytime the #22 fuse is the problem, I think the fuse socket is worn out and the fuse is loose and not making good contact. Replace the fuse box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After replacing the crank shaft, I picked up the car from the mechanic after 4 days in his shop. The car stalled on him a few times (after replacing the crank shaft), while other times started right up. The day I picked up the car he had ran it for an hour without stalling. I've now had the car for 4 days and it has stalled once, while driving.. I was immediately able to restart the car by putting it into neutral and restarting and this time without any involvement with the #22 fuse. The mechanic feels the #22 fuse isn't the issue. So at this point, still a mystery why it stalls intermittently.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Have you noticed the fuel and temperature gauge intermittently going to zero?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Either way, I would read this tsb and repair the connection of the negative battery cable to the top of the right side frame rail may cause the I/P gauges to intermittently go to zero.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I have not noticed the fuel/temp gauge intermittently going to zero.The info in the link you provided regarding engine stall, however, sounds like the best lead I've had so far. Do you have an opinion either way whether I should take this info back to my mechanic or go to the dealer?Thank you.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Just repair it yourself. Isn't it just cleaning that ground and re-tightening?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
1. Remove the bolt (1) attaching the negativebattery cable to the top of the frame rail.2. Remove any corrosion from the cable end, the bolt and the top of the frame rail wherethe attachment is made.3. Apply dielectric grease, P/N 12377900 (in Canada, P/N 10953529), to the cable end andframe rail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'll try it and report back.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
ok