Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

Buick Park Avenue Ultra: 2005 buick park avenue ultra....sister

Customer Question

2005 buick park avenue ultra....sister in law's car...she's replaced radiator, cooling fans, thermostat, water pump, coolant temp sensor....car still overheats...runs smoothly till it does
Category: Buick
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
.
They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. Which may have been the original problem with it.
.
However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.)
.
The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.
.
Block tester available is:
Napa BK.(###) ###-####
OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE
Part Number:
27145
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search
.
*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***
..
.
If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust. Which also may explain why air keeps coming out the bleeder valve when filling it.
.
If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.
.
.
Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.
.
Thanks
.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
I see that you declined the offer for additional services. Is there anything more I can tell you about the original answer? Please remember that we don’t get credit, (paid) until the answer is rated, (in a positive way)
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I replied to the original post....if the test fluid turns yellow, how can you tell it from the antifreeze?

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I didn't see a reply on it. No, you can't tell by anything but the color of the fluid, thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Customer Satisfaction and an Excellent Rating are my #1 goals. I would also value having you as a regular customer. Anything else you need I am here to assist you.