Gary
Gary, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years master GM tech and mater ASE tech
19513769

Buick roadmaster: 1993 roadmaster with 114k miles There is

Customer Question

1993 roadmaster with 114k miles
There is knocking sound coming from what we believe the rear part of the engine. It only occurs when you out it in gear. Any thoughts as to what it might be? Is it. Rear knock sensor?
Thanks
Carol
Category: Buick
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.
I am sorry for the long wait
this noise is heard only when the car is in drive or reverse ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dad is saying that he hears when first puts it in gear. From park and then putting it in drive the knocking sounds occurs. From park to reverse, the knocking sound also occurs.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
the odds are and is a very common issue with these cars is the flex plate ( fly wheel ) is cracked and when put into a gear will be loaded and flex the crack where you will get this noise from
make sure the engine to transmission bolts are tight if they are pull the flex plate cover off and turn the engine over by hand visually inspecting the flex plate where it bolts to the back of the crank shaft the odds are there will be a visual crack or cracks and the flex plate will need to be replaced to correct this problem