Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. certified
20625509

Buick Roadmaster: I have a 1994 Buick Roadmaster that i bought

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Buick Roadmaster that i bought new. I am experiencing An occasional severe missing for a duration of about 5 minutes from time to time. The car runs perfect for days ,then there will be a bad misfiring or engine missing accompanied by the car vibrating when I step on the gas. And an odd "clacking" or knocking sound. This will last for about 3-4 minutes, then smooth out and run perfectly. Obviously I can't get it to act up when at the mechanics shop.
Does anybody know what this is? ( One Roadmaster mechanic I talked to said it might be the water pump squirting water onto the spark plug wires since they are next to the pump. I checked this out and the wires were dry when it was missing.)
Can anyone advise?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
My guess is the spark plug wires either shorting out on something metal such as the exhaust manifold or shorting out to other spark plug wires. If you can catch it misfiring at nitetime, pop the hood and look to see any any arcs are coming from any spark plug wires.
If so, replace all the spark plug wires. If any spark plug wires are laying on or touching other spark plug wires, look in between them where they would rub eachother and see if indeed the wire looks burnt like it was arcing or if there is any of the actual wire on the inside showing. Spark plug wires shouldn't be touching eachother, use wire seperators.