Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  17 years Buick Technician experience and training.
14928985

Buick riviera: I have a 91 riviera with the SES light on. It's

Customer Question

I have a 91 riviera with the SES light on. It's been on for a while. I changed some of the vacuum hoses. I just noticed that the oil gauge jumps, sometimes in relationship with the gas pedal. Any suggestions?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.I apologize for any delay.
The oil pressure gauge jumping like this here indicates a fault with the oil pressure sending unit.With it jumping with the gas pedal the oil pressure increases as the pedal is applied and should slowly and evenly move the gauge,with it jumping this indicates a fault with the sending unit itself needing replaced.
There are several components on the engine that will cause the check engine light to come on like this here as the engine computer will pick up on these faults and turn on the light.To locate what is causing this light to come on like this here an OBD 1 scan tool is needed to plug into your vehicles data port to read out the fault codes.Most shops or a dealer will have this scan tool to check these codes.Once they have been read out they can then be diagnosed to locate and repair this fault.In some cases places like Auto Zone can read out these fault codes at no cost to you.
Thanks Pets