FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Buick Lucerne: I have a 2008 Buick Lucerne I have noticed several

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Buick Lucerne I have noticed several random things it does.
Recently while I was driving 40mph it shut off, what is causing this?
Category: Buick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rpm gage also will randomly drop to 0 while driving. What is causing this? The check engine light will come on and go off randomly. Since everything it does is at random and no pattern, the mechanics have picked up no problems.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. From what you explaining the most common cause of this is a bad crank sensor. If this fails the vehicle will run like this. It can also be a failing ignition switch that is very common on this car. They can easily test both of these but in some cases it will not show up unless the car is acting up at the time. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need further assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Bobby for your answer. I have recently brought my car in for service. And of course it did not flag much. They found a wire melted to the engine mount and the air filter not that secure. I have had the recall fixed on it that had something to do with the ignition, however they said this would fix nothing. The other problem it does while I am driving, the RPM gage will drop to 0. Any ideas on what is causing this?
Thanks for your help.
Sherie W
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
If the gauge drops to zero and the engine is still running fine then it may be the gauge itself. If the engine starts to run differently when this occurs then the crank position sensor may be failing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks engine runs fine when the gauge drops. If the crank sensor is intermittently failing, can that be something I can have them change anyway? Would you recommend it? I travel on the freeway a lot and am worried it's going to shut off @ 70mls/hr or higher.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
You can just have it changed as it is common but I could not say that it will definitely solve it. This is also commonly caused by a failing ignition switch on this vehicle.