Gary
Gary, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years master GM tech and mater ASE tech
19513769

Buick Park Avenue: How can i bypass the Pass II key module

Customer Question

How can i bypass the Pass II key module on my Buick park Avenue 1995 model?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.
you have the visual chip in your ignition key ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes and it seems like it was once tempered with. The security light stays ON it doesn't crank the engine.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok yes from the sounds of it the security key pass key II is your problem which usually comes down to the lock cylinder or theft module
would you be ok with doing this over the phone ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a phone currently. We can chat here not a problem.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok fair enough
what you need to do is measure the resistance of that chip in your key
once you know the resistance of that chip go to radio shack or a local place that installs aftermarket alarms and remote starters and buy a resistor the same as what you measured
then getting under the bottom of the steering column find the 2 small wires that run up into the ignition switch and cut those 2 wires then strip back the cut wires that are going TOO the column not the 2 cut wires that run up the column
the connect one of those wires to one end of the resistor then the other wire to the other end of the resistor and they system should be bypassed and start up for you
if by chance this does NOT work and it still has this problem and its the correct size resistor and the resistor is put in like i said then the odds are the theft module is going to be the problem and would need to be changed
but 99 % bypassing with the resistor corrects this problem