Gary
Gary, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years master GM tech and mater ASE tech
19513769

Buick Lucerne CX: 2011 Buick Lucerne Cx loses breaking ability

Customer Question

2011 Buick Lucerne Cx loses breaking ability going down steep incline by bottom of incline steering wheel is vibrating violently brake petal pulsating with hardly any braking ability remaining brake rotors had just been recently been turned
Category: Buick
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.
I am sorry your having this problem
were the rotors turned with an oncar brake lathe ?
what we need to do is cut this problem in 1/2 of are the front brake physically pulsating causing this issue or is the ABS activating when it should not be
can you remove the fuse called ABS in the under hood fuse box it should be a big 50 AMP fuse and drive the car and see if it still does this with that fuse out ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not possible only occurs on steep inclines while on trips away from home
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
i understand that but i just wanted to be sure the ABS was not activating when it should NOT be
if you are sure it is not then this issue is a problem with lateral run out in one of the front hub/bearings OR the rotors are defective or most common with lateral run out in the front rotors are machined out using an on car brake lathe called a Pro Cut
any GM shop and most independent shops have them
the machine will machine the rotor on the car and machine the rotor surface to eliminate this issue
the next step is to make sure either front hub does not have excessive play in either of them if both check out within spec and no excessive play in them then have the front rotors machined with the pro cut on car brake lathe
other than that unless there is contaminated brake fluid in this system or a lot of moisture in the fluid and the master cylinder is not returning all the brake fluid that has to be the problem you are having and the fix for this issue
this is a very common problem for this brake system and doing what i said will correct this issue