Chris (aka- Moose), Buick Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Buick LeSabre: I have a 98 lesabre and issues with starting.

Customer Question

I have a 98 lesabre and issues with starting. Security light was on. Took to a shop and they replaced the ignition sylonoid. 6 weeks later wouldn't start but no security error. Shop replaced steering column. Now won't start in the morning. Get home from work and starts right up in the afternoon. Has happened several times. Suggestions?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
I assume the security light is still not on, meaning its not the pass key system to blame in this case. When it will not start, can I assume it will crank?
If it will crank, can you see if the car is missing fuel pressure, injector pulse, or ignition spark during this event,
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The security light is not on the ignition just clicks it will not crank. Got home yesterday and again it started right up no issue at all. I replaced the neutral safety switch last night to no avail.
Thanks,
Below is a file showing the crank circuit.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/98lesabrestart.png
Next time it just cranks, that is when we need to do some testing to isolate sections of the circuit to narrow it down to an area less broad. When trying to start, remove the starter relay and see if pins 30 and 86 are battery voltage for me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its not just cranking when it cranks it starts when the ignition just clicks it won't start
Are you able to do the diag steps I mentioned during the no crank event?