FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Buick Enclave CX: 2008 buick enclave wont crank.

Customer Question

2008 buick enclave wont crank.
Category: Buick
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** you tell me exactly what the vehicle does when you attempt to start it? Did the vehicle die on you all of a sudden or did it just refuse to start?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing, parked it overnight, when I turn the key all lights come on no crank, at all

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I believe the tranmission range sensor is bad, it doesn't know when it's in park, is the sensor serviceable

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
The sensor is replaceable if that is it. When you move the shifter into neutral does it still not start? If the indicator is not lighting up at all then you may have a failure in the ignition switch or in the body control module.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No start what position, but when shifting to any gear, it doesn't light up, how can I test the bcm if it's bad, everything is working, just seems like the car doesn't know what gear it is in so it won't start, can you give me the part number for the range sensor
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
The part number is ***** If you want to test the BCM you will need a scan tool that reads the BCM data. Do you have a scan tool that reads the vehicle modules?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I have one that can read, all the computers.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

CAN I BUY A USED ECM, FROM A JUNK YARD, AND PUT IT IN, OR DO THEY HAVE TO BE REPROGRAMMED?

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Any computer that is put into this vehicle would have to be programmed to it. I would like to know if the ECM is seeing the proper gear when moving the shifter when monitoring it through the scan tool.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It connects to bcm, but will not connect to enine or transmisson

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Is it saying no communication?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes no communication

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I would check the IGN and ECM fuses in the fuse box under the hood. If the fuses are good then either the ignition switch is the problem of the ECM has failed.