Master Tech Lee
Master Tech Lee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  36 years Automotive Buick Diagnostic Repair Technician
28531106

Buick LeSabre Limited: I need to replace the passenger side

I need to replace the passenger side CV Axle on a 2000 Buick Lesabre, can you please provide instructions for this procedure as well as any helpful hints to make the job easier. I also would appreciate any suggestions as to anything else that should be done while doing this. A list of needed tools would also be helpful! thanks
Category: Buick
Expert:  Master Tech Lee replied 9 months ago.

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Welcome to justanswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX online automotive technician. I am reading your comments. I will be right with you. Thank You, Leon

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

May I have the eighth digit of your VIN please

Customer:

give me a few, the vehicle is not here at the moment..

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

ok

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Removal Procedure

A Tools Required

- 328733-B Front Hub Spindle Remover

- 342128 Axle Shaft Remover

- 32619-01 Slide Hammer

1. Raise the vehicle and suitably support. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.

2. Remove the wheel and tire.

3. Loosen or remove the stabilizer shaft link assembly bolt as needed. Refer to Stabilizer Shaft Link Replacement in Steering and Suspension.

4. Remove the ball joint. Refer to Lower Control Aim Replacement in Steering and Suspension.

5. Remove the hub nut (2). Insert a drift or screwdriver (1) into the caliper and rotor to prevent the rotor from turning.

6. Disconnect the axle from the hub using the 328733-B. The hub may be partially installed to protect the threads. Move the strut and knuckle rearward.

Image 1

Notice: Do not overextend the wheel drive shaft. Allowing the inboard joint to overextend can cause separation of the internal components and lead to joint failure.

7. Use the 342128 and the 32619-01 to disengage the drive axle from the transaxle.

Installation Procedure

1. Inspect the tripot housing at the transmission seal surface for corrosion, if corrosion is present, sand the surface in a rotational motion around the sealing surface with 320 grit emery cloth until smooth.

2. Lubricate the tripot housing surface with clean transmission fluid.

3. Push the axle into the transaxle (1). Verify that the drive axle is seated by grasping the inner joint housing and pulling. Do not pull on the drive axle shaft.

Image 2

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

4. Install the drive axle into the hub and bearing. Install a new hub nut (2). Insert a drift or screwdriver (1) into the caliper and rotor to prevent the rotor from turning.

Tighten Hub nut to 160 Nm (118 ft. Lbs.).

5. Connect the ball joint to the knuckle. Refer to Lower Control Aim Replacement in Steering and Suspension.

6. Install the stabilizer shaft link assembly. Refer to Stabilizer Shaft Link Replacement in Steering and Suspension.

7. Install the tire and wheel.

8. Lower the vehicle.

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Images comming

Customer:

I will not have the VIN till tommorow.. I have the last 7..... but not 8.....

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

that is ok this will be enough for you to remove shaft. Also are you replacing the complete shaft or just on joint?

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

If you are replacing the hole shaft then just do the first 6 steps.

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

I am now getting the lower ball joint removal for you hold please

Customer:

the whole shaft i suppose... the joint (boot) closest to the transmission is out....

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Yes, it would be better to replace the complete shaft. This will ensure proper balance, etc...

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Be right back as I type the removal of the ball joint, Leon

Customer:

that was my thought.

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Remember to replace the seal and buy a seal puller. Not much money to buy it. The other tools such as autozone will loan you the other tools.

Customer:

i was a mechanic in the army (10 years ago) but never as a civilian... *I am confident I can do it I just need the reasurance via the instructions.... dont do it every day.. so I appreciate your help!

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Remove pinch bolt and use a pry bar to pull ball spindle out of steering knuckle.

Install bail joint, ensuring bolts are facing downward. Tighten bolts to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS. Engage ball joint stud into steering knuckle. Install castle nut and NEW cotter pin Install wheel Tighten nuts and bolts to specification

Check wheel alignment See appropriate SPECIFICATIONS & PROCEDURES article in WHEEL ALIGNMENT

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Tighten to 50 ft lbs

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Well welcome to civilian automotive, I am sure you will do well. After you rate my answer you can always come back on at no charge and ask for more help. I am sending you a pdf of the Images now hold please

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

before I do send them, I need to shorten some aspects of this job: 1. Raise car, remove tire, remove lower ball joint pinch bolt, remove axle nut, push spindle out ( if spindle is giving you a hard time pushing out - you have to put nut back on spindle just enough to protect the threads and use a hammer to help push spindle out of steering knuckle.), once shaft is out then insert a pry bar behind the inner shaft ( one nearest the trans ), and then pry shaft out of trans.

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

the tool j 28733 is ok, but if you put the nut back on shaft and tap on it, the shaft will come loose

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

disregard the slide hammer, that is used if you are replace one cv joint

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

looking for a video for you now, I think I have one hold please

Customer:

thank you

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

or you can do it this way - little more work, but safe for you to do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xb7xil4PAw

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Now, this is for a sunfire, but the principle is the same

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your repairs.

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

this is for the seal

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Do you have any questions for me?

Customer:

that will do it at this point thanks for your help, youve been more than helpful!

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

You are Welcome!!

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Have a Good night, Leon

Master Tech Lee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: 36 years Automotive Buick Diagnostic Repair Technician
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Master Tech Lee, ASE Master Tech