Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Buick Rainier CXL: When backing up and turning sharp 2006 Buick

When backing up and turning sharp 2006 Buick Rainier feels like something in power train is catching and releasing. Maybe locked in 4WD.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Buick problem.

Your Rainier is full time all wheel drive (AWD) There is a clutch in the transfer case that is electronically controlled through an encoder motor. The purpose of the clutch is to allow slippage between the front and rear drivelines when turning. If the clutch does not disengage then the drivetrains will bind when turning, causing the tires to grab and 'hop'. This does not occur on gravel because the gravel allows the tires to slip. Most of the time the problem is in the electronic controls or the encoder motor. It is best to diagnose with a scan tool first before attempting to replace any parts.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

checked codes, only code is related to emissions system.

Are you using an advanced scan tool that reads codes and data from the chassis controls, or are you using a basic powertrain only scan tool?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not sure, it's a code reader. It's diagnosed problems with the thermostat, oxygen sensor and evap.

The advanced scan tools are typically near $1000 or more. You most likely just have a basic code reader. You can have a shop run a diagnostic on the transfer case encoder (actuator) to determine for sure if that is the problem. Most of the time that is the case. You can unplug the actuator electircal connector to temporarily alleviate the symptoms until the repairs can be made.