Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

Buick Century Custom: 2001 Buick Century needed new tires.

2001 Buick Century needed new tires. Brake work done on rear brakes. Unable to drive in reverse because brakes apply and emergency light comes on. Transmission not a problem. Car attempted to back up when put in reverse and accelerator pressed, because front breaks did not lock. Only did that once for a few feet. Drove 350 miles without using reverse. Must part where won't have to use reverse. What are the possible causes, which most likely?
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your problem. Does this have rear drum brakes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. The rear brakes are frozen when car is put into reverse, but the front brakes dont seem to be involved. Rear tires skid when accelerator is depressed in reverse gear.

Ok this is usually caused by one of two things, either the emergency brake cable is stuck on a little or if the rear brakes were just installed and this problem just started they may have installed the brake shoes on backwards. This needs to be visually checked to be sure. Let me know if you have more questions on this I am always willing to help, Thanks.