Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years Buick Technician experience and training.
14928985

I have a 2004 Buick Rendezvous that the alarm just started

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Buick Rendezvous that the alarm just started going off the other night for no reason, it would not go off even when I tried to stop with the remote, I started the car and backed it out of my driveway and then pulled back in driveway and as soon as I turned the key off ithe alarm started going off again and would not stop no matter what I tried, it quit when it had ran the battery down and car does nothing now, does not have any power, no lights, nothing at all. I put a battery charger on the car but still does nothing. Can you give me some idea where to start with figuring out what the problem is?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay.

Was any kind of after market alarm or key less entry system installed in this vehicle at all?

Did you make sure the battery charger that was used is a good battery charger or try another one or a jump start at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am assuming that the alarm is a factory alarm. I purchased the vehicle used. It is a Delphi keychain (keyless entry) with lock, unlock rear and horn buttons on it. Yes the battery charger is a good charger and it works. I have not tried to jump start the vehicle, do I need to?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
With both of these issues here it may be a good idea to try a jump start to see if the vehicle will start then.This way we can eliminate if the battery or cables are an issue here.

Let me know,thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

(the alarm) and within 2-3 minutes the rendezvous's battery was completely dead again even though it was still hooked to another vehicle with jumper cables and that vehicle running.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Are either of the battery cables getting hot at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, they didn't seem hot.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,this may possibly be a fault with the body control module computer itself or possibly an ignition switch fault.If possible I would have the fault codes checked in all computers to see what codes have set.If there are codes set these should be diagnosed as this will aid and in some cases help with pinpointing the fault here.

I would also have the battery and alternator tested to see if they are both good.If one is faulty it would need replaced.Most likely the battery is o.k. since it did start at one point but the alternator may not be charging the battery properly.

I would start here to see if any codes have set as well as if there is an alternator fault.

Thanks Pete

HERE
is my profile if you need anything in the future on your vehicle here,you can save it to your favorites and come back if you have any future questions on your vehicle (besides this question here).
Pete, Buick Technician
Experience: 15 years Buick Technician experience and training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was looking back at our response and noticed that part of the response I sent you about when we jumped my vehicle off didn't show up so I don't know if you received it all, When we jumped the vehicle off the battery was completely dead so we left the cables hooked up to charge my battery and as soon as my battery had enough charge on it the alarm started sounding off on my vehicle, I tried to turn the alarm off with the keychain remote with no success, so we pulled the horn fuse and noticed even with the fuse pulled you could hear the clicking noise of the ALARM trying to sound off, and within 2-3 minutes my battery was completely dead even though we still the jumper cables still hooked up and the other vehicle running.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
This still sounds like a possible voltage issue from the battery or alternator and should be tested as well as having the fault codes checked to see if any codes have set as this will aid with the diagnosis here as well.

It shouldn't have died out like this with the cables connected if the engine was still running on your vehicle.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete