Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

Buick Century: 2004 Buick Century will not crank. Security

2004 Buick Century will not crank. Security light is on and has a B2958 and a B2957 code.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your problem. With these codes the problem is usually the ignition lock cylinder, there are 2 small wires that run to the lock cylinder and these wires can break causing the security problem you are having. The only way to be 100% sure this is the problem is to do some electrical testing or take the steering column apart and look at these wires. Let me know if you have more questions on this I am always willing to help, Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What electrical testing can I do?

Do you have a meter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a dmm.

Ok great, so below the steering column at the base you need to look for 2 really small wires that are in a tube, these are the wires that run up to the lock cylinder, I would set the meter to OHMs and see if there is any kind of reading with the key in the lock cylinder. Let me know the results, if there is no reading then there is a bad/broken wire to the lock cylinder.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have no reading on the meter.

If that is the case there is a broken wire to the lock cylinder. There is a possibility the key is bad but that does not happen very often, to be sure connect the leads to each side of that pellet and see if there is a resistance reading.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I have a resistance reading on the pellet.

Ok then there are 2 options, one is to replace the lock cylinder or to do a by pass, to do a by pass you would need to cut those small wires and put in a resister that is equal to the value of the chip in the key, this resister would go in the wires that go away from the lock cylinder.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Found broken wire at back of key switch.

If you can repair it that may work but usually the wire breaks off right at the lock cylinder.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thats what happened to this one. There is only a very small amount sticking out. Probablly not enough to repair.

Thats usually what happens.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks for all your help..Your diagnosis was right on.