Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.
10772012

Buick Century Custom: Ivan, I am trying to change a leaky

Ivan,
I am trying to change a leaky oil pan gasket on my 1991 Buick Century Custom 3.3 L engine and can't seem to reach the bolt near the crankshaft pulley/damper. The car is currently on jackstands. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Bill
Category: Buick
Expert:  Ivan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bill, sorry about the delay. I am traveling and keep losing Internet access. You may need to loosen the engine mounts and lift the engine a little off of the subframe to get to those bolts. That is your most promising access point.

Ivan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ivan, no problem with the delay. Which engine mounts do I loosen - all? Where do I position the jack on the engine to lift it? I don't have a good diagram showing the engine mount locations. Thanks for your help!

Bill

Expert:  Ivan replied 1 year ago.
Is there a bracket that runs across the engine under that oil pan by the crank?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes and that's the problem. Simply loosening the engine mounting bolts and raising the engine won't affect the space between that bracket and the oil pan.

Bill

Expert:  Ivan replied 1 year ago.
Follow that mount bracket up to the engine. If you can loosen the bottom bolt on the mount, then lift the engine, you should be able to unbolt that bracket. You don't have to remove the bracket, just get it to fall away. Find a way to prop the engine up with 2x4s and lower the engine onto them. Then you should be able to get the bolt out amd remove the oil pan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The bracket appears to be bolted to the engine at the front behind the compressor and at the rear by the oil filter. Are these (I see maybe 3 bolts) attaching the bracket to the engine the ones to remove?

Expert:  Ivan replied 1 year ago.
If I remember correctly yes there are 3 bolts on each side. Ps now I'm reporting to you from Hurricane Utah. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I won't be able to get back to the car until tomorrow PM. I will let you know how it goes or if I have any more questions. I didn't know there was a town named Hurricane in Utah - learn something new every day!

Safe travels.

Bill

BTW do you recommend RTV on the gasket or bolt it up without?

Expert:  Ivan replied 1 year ago.
If it is a silicone gasket, put RTV only on the mating points where for example the front cover bolts to the engine block. If it is a cork gasket, 3m weatherstrip adhesive to the pan and silicone to the block.
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.