Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Buick Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Buick Electra Park Avenue: 90 buick park ave has 2 broken bolts

90 buick park ave has 2 broken bolts from water pump. What is the best way to remove them?
Ouch, hate it when that happens....

Is there any part of the bolt still sticking out from the hole, or is the bolt broken flush?

.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the bigger bolt is stckinng out about 1/2 an inch. The smaller bolt is about 1/4 inch. This is with the water pump off.
Thanks,

There are a couple of different type bolt extractors available. They fit flush with the block so it can grab as much broken stud as possible. Hopefully there is enough there to grab onto on that one. The one with 1/2" sticking out should come out pretty easy. Just check with your local parts store. I know that Autozone and others will loan you the tool for free with a deposit.

Thats about your only chance bud other than drilling and tapping it out. I would NOT suggest using the type extractor that you first drill a hole in the bolt then put the inside that hole you just drilled because it that extractor breaks off in the bolt, you are really in trouble.

Best wishes my friend!

graphic
graphic
Here is another type that comes in a kit with different sizes and the one the parts store will more likely have.

graphic