Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

Buick LeSabre Custom: i bought a can of refrigerant at Walmart

Customer Question

i bought a can of refrigerant at Walmart thinking my Freon level was low in my 2000 Buick LeSabre Custom V6 3.8 litre car. Anyway i left the car running for 3 minutes + as they suggested and attached the gauge that came with the can to the low pressure port. it is currently 75 degrees F where I am and the gauge showed about 45 psi. According to the chart on the can this is good but I do not hear the compressor running. Could it be possible I am seeing pressure form air in the system as opposed to Freon??
Category: Buick
Expert:  Daryl replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do my best to help you with your problem. Usually the pressure in the system should about match the temp outside (with the compressor not running) so if the pressure was only 45 psi with the compressor off the system is low. As for the air in the system? there really is no way for pressurized air to get in the system so that is not likely. So I would add some refrigerant and the compressor should start to cycle when the pressure gets high enough. Let me know if you have more questions on this I am always willing to help, Thanks.
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience: 28 years experience, Master Mechanic
Expert:  Daryl replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the rating, I really appreciate it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Daryl,

I have tried what you said to do by adding more refrigerant to the system. The compressor is still not starting so I am assuming it is being protected by the low pressure safety on the system. I have read on the web that i can jump the two wire safety connector with a paper clip just o try and get the compressor running and this can help with trouble shooting the issue

I am having. Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Daryl replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can try that but I would use a piece of wire, a paper clip can get hot and burn your fingers. How much refrigerant have you added and what is the low side pressure at this point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

according to the gauge on the hose thatcame with the can the pressure is quite high. i am assuming thia is because i have added some freon but it is not going anywhere but just pressurizing the hose. I am not sure where this safety connection is. can u help me locate it please?

Expert:  Daryl replied 1 year ago.
I would just go to the under hood fuse box and locate the AC clutch relay, remove the relay and look neat the terminals there will be numbers, and then where the relay plugs in use a jumper to connect the 30 and 87 terminals, that should make the clutch run. You might also try disconnecting the battery for 1 minute that may reset the AC system.