Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Buick Electra Park Avenue: 1990 Buick Electra Park Avenue You

1990 Buick Electra Park Avenue

You know the panel that has the Heat/AC/Defrost/etc... Well, every time I start my car, the fuse for that panel blows. I would like that to stop. Any suggestions?
HI,

Ok, does it matter whether you have left either the ac or heater on or off from last time you drove it?

Does the fuse ever blow while you are driving it, or only when you crank it up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was actually like that when I bought it.

It only blows when I crank it up, every time I crank it up

Ok, I just need to know if yours has automatic(digital) climate controls or manual controls?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Digital

Ok, for the digital climate control, that fuse also controls the rear defogger and the electronic ride control(the electronic air suspension)

So I need to know if the rear defogger works.

And I need to know if the air suspension works.

And on the air suspension, when you turn the key to the on position and all the warning lights briefly come on during the self-check, does the service air ride suspension light come on and then go off?

And is it on with the engine running
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Rear defog doesn't work, and neither does air suspension, I assume. The air suspension light does not come on. The control panel does not come on at all. No ac, no heat, no defog, front or rear. No numbers in the display. When I crank the car, the panel lights up for a second, then the fuse blows.

Ok, you have a direct short in the wiring harness itself. The power feed from that fuse is a brown wire.

This is not going to be a simple fix of replacing a part. That brown wire is going to have to be traced from the fuse box to the climate control panel, the rear defogger and the air suspension controller to find where it is either broken, loose connection, frayed, cut, or pinched.

this is going to require removing part of the dash possibly if the short is not at the wire just past the fuse box.

Unless you are both comfortable with removing part of the dash and understand automotive electrical wiring and wiring diagrams, this is best left to an automotive electrical specialist shop as more damage can be done if you are not careful

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be sure to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE , however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so that I can further help you