Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Buick LaCrosse: 2006 Buick LaCrosse no heat. Two years ago

Customer Question

2006 Buick LaCrosse no heat. Two years ago I took it to the dealership over 5 times & they couldn't fix it. Last year, took it to 2 different mechanics. All say they don't know what's wrong. One mechanic got it to blow hot like it was fixed, but just as soon as I lowered the temp to a/c, the heater never works again. THis is my mom's car and she's freezing. Thanks, Anthony
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Buick problem.

Don't Forget, the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service, and not this website itself or your vehicle.

Does the engine reach normal operating temperature on the dash gauge? Does this car have dual temperture controls (for driver and passenger)? If so, are both sides cold?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, car has dual temp controls. Engine dash gauge is under normal.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.

Are both drivers side and passenger side blowing cold air? Has the computer been checked for trouble codes?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, both sides blow cold air. I would assume the Buick dealership would check for trouble codes. But don't know for sure. It was brought back in 5 times for no heat. Also, forgot to mention, the thermostat has been replaced 3 times.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.

Are both heater hoses hot with the engine warmed up?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.

Is the coolant level in the reservoir currently filled to the correct level?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, coolant level in reservoir is ok.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.

If the coolant level is full and both heater hoses are hot then the problem is likely going to be failing temperature door actuators. You can remove the actuator and turn the temperture door shaft by hand to see if you get heat. If you do, replace the actuators.

To access the drivers side actuator, remove the panel below the drivers side of the dash. The actuator is located on the side of the heater case above and to the right of the accelerator pedal.

graphic

For the passenger side, remove the glove box and look inside dash opening to the left. There you will see the actuator (2).

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you give me an idea how expensive this is to have fixed?

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.

The actuators are around $125-150 each and labor will run you 1/2 hour each. So you are looking at around $450 total to replace both actuators.

Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is it mandatory to replace both actuators to work? Don't have the money and was hoping if I just replaced the drivers side it would work. Is that true?

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.

You can replace just the drivers side, this will give you heat for the drivers side and this will warm the car up. You will eventually want to replace the passenger side as well so both sides have heated air. Another thing you can do for now since money is an issue is to remove the actuator and turn the temperature door shaft by hand to the HOT position. You would then need to figure out a way to secure the door shaft in this position.