ASE Master Guru
ASE Master Guru, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech with GM Factory Training
65777661

Buick Century: I have an error code p0336 crankshaft position

Customer Question

I have an error code p0336 crankshaft position sensor. This came up after replacing the harmonic balancer. Engine light is on, and the car does not start on first turn. After the second try usually fires right up and runs fine. My question is can I just run a relearn tool to reset the sensor without replacing them? I really dont want to put the harmonic balancer back together again haha. Easy to come off pain in the neck to put back on. Oh shoulda mentioned this earlier its a 2003 buick century with 100k miles.
Category: Buick
Expert:  ASE Master Guru replied 1 year ago.

ASE Master Guru :

Hello, my name isXXXXX this first before replacing sensor.

Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn

1. Install a scan tool.

2. With a scan tool, monitor the powertrain control module for DTCs. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P0336, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List for the applicable DTC that set.

3. With a scan tool, select the crankshaft position (CKP) variation learn procedure.

4. Observe the fuel cut-off for the engine that you are performing the learn procedure on.

5. The scan tool instructs you to perform the following:

• Block the drive wheels.

• Apply the vehicles parking brake.

• Cycle the ignition from OFF to ON.

• Apply and hold the brake pedal.

• Start and idle the engine.

• Turn OFF the A/C.

• Place the vehicle's automatic transmission in Park, or the manual transmission in Neutral.

• The scan tool monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool monitors the following components:

• CKP sensors activity—If there is a CKP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

• Camshaft position (CMP) sensor activity—If there is a CMP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

• Engine coolant temperature (ECT)—If the ECT is not warm enough, idle the engine until the ECT reaches the correct temperature.

1. With the scan tool, enable the CKP system variation learn procedure.

Important: While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.

1. Slowly increase the engine speed to the RPM that you observed.

2. Immediately release the throttle when fuel cut-off is reached.

3. The scan tool displays Learn Status: Learned this ignition.. If a DTC set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List for the applicable DTC that set.

4. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.

ASE Master Guru, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech with GM Factory Training
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
?