Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Buick Mechanic
Experience:  GM, Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

Buick Riviera: Hello, I have a 1997 Buick Riviera, the horn

Hello, I have a 1997 Buick Riviera, the horn has failed. The horn had always been sensitive on the right side of the SRS, and had gotten stuck ON once before, after application, but a good slap of the SRS shut it off. Later, as the car sit in the sun at work, the horn went off. I was told it sounded for approx 1.5 hours and then shut down. I found that the fuse and the resister had blown. I replaced the resister and when I replaced the fuse it failed instantly. I took the car to a local shop and they were unable to fix it. They said the airbag assembly needed to be replaced, but is no longer being produced and not available. They left both horns unpluged, and suggested looking for the assemble from a junk yard. I feel that the clock spring may have failed under the SRS. This must have happened to others, but some shops are not familier with this model Riviera and do not want to work on them. One said they had never seen one before. Help me with my quandry.

I would remove the Horn Relay & test the BLACK wire (PIN 86) of the socket & see if there is continuity (short to ground) if there is, then likely is the Horn Button / Clock Spring & that would need to come apart & see if "cleaning" would help it
If there is NOT a short to ground, replace Horn Relay & try

It is a fairly simple circuit & if the parts (new) are not available, used from a Salvage Yard or a work around (horn switch) may have to do

graphic

If you need further, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer...............

I do not recieve anything, until you "Rate my Answer"

Please Rate my answer "now" for me to recieve some compensation, as that is how a recieve a small portion of the Deposit................thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes there is a short to ground. The steering wheel also has almost 1ins of loose travel. Could this have contributed to the problem? I will need to tighten the nuts when I get in there. Can I do this in my yard, are special tools needed, could the horns have failed also?

Yes there is a short to ground. The steering wheel also has almost 1ins of loose travel. Could this have contributed to the problem?

thank you for the added info...........
at this point, you would need to remove the Air Bag / Horn & inspect the Column, Shaft & Tilt parts

Here is Buick procedures for removal

click links below

AIR BAG DISARM

AIR BAG STEERING WHEEL

I will need to tighten the nuts when I get in there. Can I do this in my yard, are special tools needed, could the horns have failed also?

Yes this can be done DIY, just be sure the Battery is disconnected & basic hand tools are needed Metric & SAE