Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Buick LeSabre: code U1040 vehicle put in drive or reverse will

code U1040 vehicle put in drive or reverse will not move,put in neutral cannot push it forward or backwards!

Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Buick problem.

When in reverse or drive if you rev the engine, does it rev freely like the transmission is slipping, or does it bog down like the brakes are locked?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

bogs down like the brakes are locked up!

Use a jack to jack up the front end and the rear end. Try rotating the wheels by hand with transmission in neutral. Let me know what it does.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the wheel moves when it is in neutral!

Will all four wheels move in neutral? When rotating one front wheel does the other rotate the opposite direction when in neutral?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Turned L/S wheel R/S turned opposite FWD vehicle,I noticed this time when I started it the illuminated display for PRND was not lite up like before!

The brakes are obviously not locked. Since the front wheels turn opposite of one another, this indicates that the Park pawl is not unlocking inside the transmission. Unfortunately this is not something that can be fixed from outside the transmission. Have someone shift through the gears inside the car while you look at the shift linkage on top of the transmission from under the hood. If the linkage is moving then the side cover of the transmission will need to come off to investigate further.