rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

Buick Rendezvous: 2004 rendezvous sometimes wont start. replaced

2004 rendezvous sometimes wont start. replaced battery, starter and ignition switch. When you turn key you can hear alot of clicks and such. Lights and all work. sometimes it catches when you hold key in start position for a while, sometimes catches on the way back, sometimes starts right up, sometimes nothing at all. HELP!!

Thanks for your question. Sorry you're having car problems. If I go off line, just leave a message and I'll be right back. DO NOT leave feedback yet.

Due to the oddity of this problem, brings up this TSB from Buick regarding water intrusion in a connector. I attached the TSB for you to view. Keep me posted please. Thanks, Ron

Attachment: 2012-08-09_133033_tsb__for_no_starts.pdf

Please note; your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be sure to rate OK, GOOD, or EXCELLENT SERVICE

3-5 STARS /SMILEY FACES to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT. I strive for EXCELLENT ratings.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces equal (POOR AND BAD SERVICE) and are NEGATIVE ratings on me personally. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so that I can further help you. Positive feedback is my goal.

Thank you, Ron

Please note: not every answer I give you is something you were hoping to hear, even though it is true, such as; (it's more expensive than you wanted to spend, or you will need to have a professional repair shop do the diagnostics and /or repairs due to complexity reasons).

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

read the bulletin, going to check that out now. will let you know what happens

Excellent, thanks, Ron
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, we found that c305 under the car. Everything looks ok, no corrosion, no spreading.

OK, see if the security light is on or flashing when this happens, if it is on, then the security system needs to be accessed with the factory scan tool to be either reset or diagnosed where that problem is at. Thanks, Ron

Please remember to rate me as high as you see fit. I strive for the "EXCELLENT" rating and I can still assist you afterward too if you need me to.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what is security light... on top of dash or by radio?
They put them in various places in the dash cluster, but you would sure see it if it was on. Ron
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the security light seems to be normal. it is not on or flashing while trying to start.

OK, if the battery cables are good and free from corrosion too, then take out the power distribution box from under the hood next to the battery and look for corrosion there at the terminals. The reason for these checks, is that your problem has to be a connection problem somewhere. Finding it is always the fun part.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yea.. fun. Going to check that out now, will get back to you.
Thanks, Ron
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Havent removed power distrib box yet, heres what i don't understand... There is power everywhere! Everything is getting what it needs, it just wont start. Won't even turn over. Just clicks.

Yep, but it's an intermittent NO START, that's why we need to check ALL the connections now starting with the PDB. Thanks, Ron
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, coming back at you with more details. we thought starter was going bad because of occasional non starts. Replaced starter. Started right up, I drove for 4 days with starts on every key turn. Next thing you know, turn the key, doesn't start. turn the key again it starts. Next time it would be turn the key 3 or 4 times before it starts. Have the battery tested and replaced. Started right up! Started 1st attempt for 2 days. Then it would be 1 turn no start/ next turn start, progressively getting worse. Next came ignition switch with exact same results! When we "fix" something it "works" for few days then all down hill from there. Any other ideas? Seriously, power is everywhere. Even on no starts everything is getting power. Ready to push it over a hill!
OK, sorry for the delay. Don't push it over just yet. This really does sound like a security problem now, or a problem with the key is it's got a chip in it. The only way to test that system is with a scan tool that does the security system. I'll bet that's it. Do you have another key you can try too? Thanks, Ron
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Have 2 keys and have tried them both with same results. Also, don't know if this was good, bad or useless but had found info on unplugging all wires from BCM found under console, also large harness in steering column and yellow harness in steering column, wait a few... plug back in and should start. well it didn't, but not sure if that was useless. So basically I should be headed to dealership for a scan then?

That's basically a re-learn procedure but you didn't go far enough with it. Try this;

Relearn procedure:

Disconnect both battery cables for 20 minutes and touch the 2 cable ends together for 10 seconds. After the 20 minutes has expired, re-connect the cables and start and drive vehicle for about 15 minutes under a variety of conditions such as idle, cruise and wide open throttle, to do a complete re-learn of the rest of the computer system.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, will try that after we get done putting another new starter in. Tried jumping the solenoid and the bendix didn't engage so getting a new one again. thanks and will let you know what happens. Also, with the relearn you gave above, do we need to unplug bcm again or just go with the above?

No, you don't need to do anything but what I said to do.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, new starter and nothing. Did the relearn, nothing. The hill is looking good. Please, if you think of anything else let me know. Thank you.

I do have a final thought, and that would be to call your local dealer and just ask them if there is a computer flash update to correct this problem, and let me know. Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

well, we still aren't running yet, took to garage today. Just wanted to throw this strange thing at you... When the front drivers side is jacked up, it will start, when we put it down it won't! Figure that one out!

OK, have them start looking at all the connectors for water intrusion and / or corrosion in the terminals. Thanks, Ron