Gary
Gary, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years master GM tech and mater ASE tech
19513769

Buick Rendezvous CXL: 2004 Rendezvous AWD Disable/ABS lights

2004 Rendezvous AWD Disable/ABS lights on?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
the ABS light will come on also ? will it come on when driving ?or as soon as you started it up without moving the vehical ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The ABS light comes on at the same time the AWD Disable light comes on. They come on within 100 yards of moving the vehicle at the end of the day. Neither one comes on in the morning, however, when it's cooler on my 5 mile morning commute to work. They do not come on when I start up but do not move the car.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
ok more than likey there is a front ABS sensor problem,wiring to one of the sensors OR a front hub/bearing assebly is causing this problem.if you can get the ABS code number it should tell you which front wheel is triggering the ABS light.once you know that then you inspect the wiring to that wheel sensor make sure its nut cut,damaged or rubbed threw.if the wiring looks great the front wheel that is setting the code will more than likey need a hub/bearing assembly changed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would your answer change with the addition of the following information...? I know I need new tires. Also, the vehicle has 140,000 miles and I doubt the rear diff. has ever had it's fluid changed.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
changing the fluid should be done but will NOT turn on the ABS light
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What about tire circumference differences due to wear?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
the variance built into the ABS module should compensate for that. i mean if you have 2 bald tires on the front and brand new on the rear could possibly cause a speed differnce.but knowing the code will tell you if its a specific wheel or not.if its both the fronts or both the rears setting codes then the tires could be the problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm in a town that is notorious for poor car mechanics and high charges for service. Do you think I could put 300 Interstate-speed miles on the vehicle to get it to a mechanic I know without causing bigger issues?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
yes you will be fine.when the ABS light it lit up its just saying that the ABS will NOT work if you need it.the regular hydrolic brakes will work just fine.just like a vehcal without ABS thats all
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So, I won't screw up my hubs/differentials? I actually need the vehicle for about another 1,500 miles before it would be convenient to have it in a shop for a couple days for repairs. I'm a little desperate, but don't want to create further problems... greater expense... nor have it breakdown in the middle of nowhere on me?!?! What do you think?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
if the hub is already bad its not gonna wreck it anymore.im good with you driving this because if a hub/bearing was realy bad you would have a noise and you dont so the hub/bearings should be fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I'll get in to be fixed asap, and in the meantime not worry about it unless I hear bad noises. Agreed?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
correct
Gary, Buick Technician
Experience: 15 years master GM tech and mater ASE tech