Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Buick Skylark: I have a 1991 Buick Skylark 3.3l with the start

I have a 1991 Buick Skylark 3.3l with the start and stall problem. it cranks and runs for about 15 min and as soon as it get hot or to operating temp. it cuts off without warning and then starts to stall and just turns over without starting. I've replaced the fuel pump and the fuel filter. I've replaced the crank sensor and i've tested it for spark on # XXXXX& 5. It has 40 psi of fuel pressure but it still want start. Any suggestion that i haven't tried? Dan
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Buick problem.

Have you tested for fuel injector pulse when the engine will not start?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried with my test light because i didn'rt have the noide tester!
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Did the test light flash when the engine would crank but would not start?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It Dimmed but i didn't notice a flash
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
The problem is likely the ignition control module heating up and shutting down. It must send a signal to the ECM to pulse the injectors. You can run the engine til it quits then disconnect the igniton module connector. Connect the test light clip to positive battery terminal and then repeatedly touch the probe to the Purple/White wire at the connector and see if the injectors pulse. You should be able to hear them pulse. If they do then the ECM is okay and the ignition control module should be replaced.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you.

Thank you,
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dave, I've had the ignition module tested at two differnt part stores and it came back good. But i will test the purple and white wire going to the injectors. any other suggestions?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
The ignition module will test good, just like the engine will run for a while. If you can test the igniton control module continuously for more than 15 minutes, you would likely have it fail the test. If you can verify that you lose injector pulse when the engine stalls, then make sure you can make the injectors pulse with the test described above then this proves that the ignition control module is bad. This is by far the most common failure on this engine where stalling is concerned.