Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

much should a lower intake manifold gasket repair/replacement cost?

Customer Question

How much should a lower intake manifold gasket repair/replacement cost?
Submitted: 2 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

It is 5.4 hours labor and the gasket kit is $97

With shops hovering around $100 per hour now nationwide, figure about $540 for the labor.

Total parts and labor, including coolant and oil after intake gasket replacement, will be about $680

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON and/or SMILEY FACE to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Had the intake manifold lower and upper gaskets replaced. Picked the car up yesterday. Drove it 12 highway miles and when stopped it was smoking from under the hood and smelled of anti freeze and gas. Thought
maybe it was burn off but on the way back, we drove into the driveway and it was smoking away again from under the hood. Raised the hood, couldn't really see what where the leak was coming from. Again gas and antifreeze smell very strong both inside the car and out.

The car leaked almost clear, not smelly, slippery liquid onto the driveway in a puddle. We also had an oil change and I believe the puddle was the new oil (not 100% sure).

Moved the car and put cardboard under it. In the morning, only a few drops on the cardboard.

Just brought it back to the repair shop. They are looking at it.
Paid $759 for the intake manifold gasket replacement.

What is wrong?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Most likely is that they didnt seat the fuel injectors all the way, cut fuel injector o-ring during the process or used the original injector o-rings insteading of replacing as the factory manual states to do. The injectors are removed for the intake gasket repair.

It is also possible that they pinched or cut the new intake gasket and is the reason for the fluid leak. but again this just could be residue on the engine from the repair as oil and coolant is spilled during the repair and collects on bottom splash shield and can drip from it for a couple of days.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Eric,

Forgot to mention that the car's is harder starting then it was. Multiple start attempts before it turns over.

Also, the puddle on the ground was too much for residue. How could they screw this up so badly. They had the car for 3 days and btw refused to accept your time of 5.5 hours and insisted on 7.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

The harder starting would be due to the fuel injectors leaking, which means less fuel to the combustion chambers.

Not sure where they got the 7hrs from. I use chilton book of labor, which is basically the industry's bible on labor time guide.

Really sounds like either the tech has never done this repair before or is pretty incompetent.