MrDiag, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  16 Years of experience in Automotive Service Industry

2003 Buick Rendezvous: aux..ten minutes..Have swapped the RAP relay (

2003 Buick Rendezvous: Aux power outlets stay on all the time. They do not shut down ten minutes after key off, as they should. Have swapped the RAP relay (R33)with another but no joy. Is there a RAP over-ride that may have been set?

MrDiag :

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to answer your Buick questions. Please provide as much information as possible so I can better assist you.

MrDiag :

Did the outlets go off before this? According to the wiring diagram I am viewing, the outlets have constant power fed by the 20A FRT AUX fuse #32 in the underhood fuse block. The diagram doesn't show them being on the RAP circuit.

The diagram for the RAP relay only shows the Pwr windows, Sunroof, and Inside rearview mirror, as being fed by that relay.

I hope this information helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I purchased the car about a week ago and the prior owner didn't use the outlets as I do, for a GPS. I am referring to the 2003 owner's manual, page 3-24, which states "The accessory outlets will only operate while the ignition is on and for 10 minutes after turning the ignition off. If you would like to operate an accessory for an extended period of time, see your dealer for more information."
I understand. Unfortunately the only thing I can find are wiring diagrams for the system which show the power coming directly from that fuse which has constant battery voltage.

I will opt-out and see if another expert might be able to give more information on this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Rich, I appreciate your effort. I also found a snip of the schematics which agrees with you, I'll attach it here. I wonder if B+ in the front fuse box at fuse #32 could somehow be jumpered to a location that is, in fact, on the RAP? By that, I mean, could I remove F32 and run a jumper to a switched circuit on another fuse? What happens when you opt out of a subject? Will I hear from someone else on this thread?

This is a different question but do you happen to know if I am correct in assuming that the radio with 6 CD changer can not play MP3 audio CDs? Thanks again, AE

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will be away from the computer until about 4PM EDT. I'll check back again then. Thanks again.

Yes, when en expert opts-out of a question, another expert can then take the question if they have an answer for you. When you respond back before another expert replies, it re-locks to the original expert.

That diagram is one of several that I found also. They show the same things.

I personally would shy away from modifying the circuit for the outlets. There can be so many problems with this type of thing.
I'm not sure if it would help your situation but I have seen an aux plug that has a switch so you can plug your accessory in and switch it off. I am not sure how well they work.

You can also check with your local dealer and see what they think of the statement in the owners manual.

As for the MP3 cds, some can play them and some cannot. Most of the newer cars are able to play them, I am not sure about yours. Many radios and changers that are compatible will have the MP3 logo on them.

If you'd like I can opt-out again and see if any other experts have additional thoughts about this. Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think I'm going to just accept and assume the owners manual has an error. I'll check with a dealer and have the codes read at some point and mention the strange misinformation. It may be easier to try to contact GM on-line. If I have some more questions, I'll sign up for the week-long deal. Thanks for your time. We'll close the case.
Ok, thank you. Sorry that there wasn't a clear cut answer for this. I asked another tech at another dealer and he said he thought they have constant power also. I hope you enjoy your new vehicle.