MPMoore
MPMoore, ASE MASTER W/L1 GM WORLD CLASS TECH
Experience:  GM world class, ASE master tech w/ L1 advanced driveablity, 15yrs experance bumper to bumper
4232346

2002 Buick Rendezvous: accelerating..Put fuel injector..spark plugs

Customer Question

2002 Buick Rendezvous. Service Engine Soon light came on and the car had a lot of problems accelerating. Put fuel injector cleaner in, checked spark plugs and wires (brand new). The guy I just bought it from had just changed out water pump and catalytic converter. Took it to Autozone. Codes came back as misfire and lean fuel use. Service light went off but the car still has problems accelerating if I have to stop at the bottom of a hill or after I make a right hand turn. Basically, I'm at a WTF point. Can you help?

Ok, to add to this, I'm still having a lot of trouble getting this vehicle to accelerate. I can drive it fine for about 5 miles and then it will bog down like it is underwater and I can barely get it up to 40 mph. Forget the freeway! I replaced the oxygen sensor that is before the catalytic converter with no change whatsoever. The codes from Autozone are P1135, P0171, P1133 and P0300. This is all pointing to Bank 1 Sensor 1 on this engine. Well, as I said, I changed out the oxygen sensor so there is another sensor that I'm not finding. I took it to a shop to have it diagnosed and he pointed to a sensor on top of the oil filter. He said it's a $200 sensor...no thank you. Please tell me what the name of that sensor is or if he is just full of crap. I'm really frustrated. Please help.
Category: Buick
Expert:  MPMoore replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-How many miles are on your Buick?

-Have you checked the fuel pressure when it boggs down?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

140,000 and no. I don't know how to do that

Expert:  MPMoore replied 2 years ago.
OK, fuel pressure is easy to check. You will need a fuel pressure gauge to check it. Your local auto parts store will sell them or rent/loan you a gauge. On the front of the engine near the belt between the alternator and the power steering pump you will see a service port on the fuel rail. The service port will have a dust cap on it, remove the cap and you will see the service port that looks like a tire valve. Install the fuel gauge on to this port, you may have to bend the engine lift bracket. Check the pressure with the engine running, it should be around 50 to 60 psi. If the pressure is muck lower then this, the pump is bad. If the pressure checks good, drive it with the gauge connected and check the pressure again when the truck starts to lose power. it should no fall below 50psi.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So what does it mean if the pressure is fine while idling...because, I've never had an issue at while it's idling. It runs fine. It's when I step on the gas pedal that the problems begin.
Expert:  MPMoore replied 2 years ago.
If the pump is weak, then it will loose pressure when you are driving. During idle time, there is not much demand for fuel until the engine is under a load. Also a pump that is going bad may be fine when its cold but as it warms up it may have a problem.