Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager

2006 Buick: lower hose connection..radiator overflow tank

How do I remove the lower hose connection on a 2006 Buick Lucerne radiator overflow tank? Does it need a special tool?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. Please DON’T hit accept until you are completely satisfied with the answer. If you need any more on it just let me know. About your vehicle.

..

.

Yes there are hose clamp pliers for that.

J 38185

graphic

graphic

graphic

Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
I had the other question closed as not to add any confusion, let's stick to this post. They don't actually use drain plugs on the cooling system that much anymore. That's another place that the hose clamp pliers come in handy. You could most likely get that clamp off with a pair of channel locks, (being that you got the little off without the special pliers) I do that myseif at times.

..

.

Cooling System Draining and Filling (Static Fill)

Draining and Filling Cooling System (Static Fill)
Tools Required

• J26568 Coolant and Battery Fluid Tester
  • J38185 Hose Clamp Pliers

Draining Procedure

Caution: To avoid being burned, do not remove the radiator cap or surge tank cap while the engine is hot. The cooling system will release scalding fluid and steam under pressure if radiator cap or surge tank cap is removed while the engine and radiator are still hot.

Important: Do not use coolant system sealers in this cooling system.

1. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
  2. Remove the surge tank cap.
  3. Remove the air box.
  4. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
  5. Remove the air deflector.
  6. Lower the vehicle.
  7. Place a drain pan under the lower radiator hose connection.
  8. Using the J38185 reposition the lower radiator hose clamp away from the radiator.
  9. Slowly remove the lower radiator hose. Drain the coolant into the drain pan.
  10. Inspect the engine coolant for the following conditions:
    • Discolored appearance-Follow the flush procedure. Refer to Flushing.
    • Normal in appearance-Follow the filling procedure.

Filling Procedure

Notice: The procedure below must be followed. Improper coolant level could result in a low or high coolant level condition, causing engine damage.

1. Install the lower radiator hose.
  2. Using the J38185 reposition the lower radiator hose clamp to the radiator.
  3. Lower the vehicle.
  4. Slowly add a mixture of 50/50 DEX-COOL antifreeze and deionized water to the cooling system through the top of the surge tank opening. Refer to Capacities - Approximate Fluid.
  5. Fill the surge tank to the FULL COLD level.
  6. Install the surge tank cap.
  7. Idle the engine for 2 minutes and occasionally raise the throttle to 3,000 - 3,500 RPM .
  8. Turn off the engine and allow the engine to cool.
  9. Repeat the steps 3-7.
  10. Install the air deflector.
  11. Install the air box.
  12. Allow the engine to cool.
  13. Remove the surge tank cap and fill to the FULL COLD level.
  14. Use the J26568 to inspect the concentration of the engine coolant.
  15. Rinse away any excess coolant from the engine and the engine compartment.

Thanks

.
.

*

*

*

PLEASE NOTE; YOU MUST HIT THE ACCEPT BUTTON TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

*

*
*

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager