Neal
Neal, Buick Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced in most makes. Many years family business.
17294534

Buick LeSabre: i need advice on a innner tie rod end replacement

i need advice on a innner tie rod end replacement job. Drivers side-- I just changed strut and outer tie rod end. everything seemed great. I went to get the alignment at Tires Plus and they told me the inner tie rod end is loose. It did not seem loose when I put it together.

Question -- How do you check this
Question -- Can you describe how to change after the outer tie rod end is off
Category: Buick
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

To check it you can have someone turn the wheel back and forth with the car on the ground while you check for visible play. It is harder to tell on the inner due to the boot.

Here is how to change it.

DISASSEMBLY PROCEDURE
graphic

1. To remove the rack and pinion boot and the breather tube; refer to Rack and Pinion Boot and Breather Tube Replacement - Off Vehicle.

NOTICE: The rack must be held during removal and installation of the inner tie rod to prevent damage to the rack.

Remove the shock dampener (2) from the inner tie rod assembly (5).

2. Slide the shock dampener (2) back on the rack (1 ).
3. Remove the inner tie rod assembly (5) from the rack assembly (1) as follows:
3.1. Place a wrench on flats of rack assembly (3).
3.2. Place another wrench on the flats of the inner tie rod housing (4).
3.3. Rotate the inner tie rod housing (4) counterclockwise until the inner tie rod (5) separates from the rack (1).

ASSEMBLY PROCEDURE

NOTICE: The rack must be held during removal arid installation of the inner tie rod to prevent damage to the rack.
graphic

1. Slide the shock dampener (2) forward onto the rack (1).
2. Attach the inner tie rod (6) on the rack (1) as follows:
2.1. Place a wrench on the flats of the rack assembly (3).
2.2. Place a torque wrench (5) on the flats the inner tie rod housing (4).

NOTICE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

- Inner tie rod to 100 Nm (74 ft. lbs.).
graphic

3. Place the inner tie rod assembly (2) in a vise.
4. Stake both sides of the inner tie rod assembly to the flats on the rack (1).
graphic

5. Insert a 0.25 mm gauge (1) between the rack (2) and the inner tie rod housing (3) in order to check both stakes. The feeler gauge (1) must not pass between the rack and the housing stake.
graphic

6. Slide the shock dampener (2) over the inner tie rod housing (3) until the front lip of the shock dampener (2) bottoms against the inner tie rod housing (3).
7. To assemble the rack and pinion boot and the breather tube; refer to Rack and Pinion Boot and Breather Tube Replacement - Off Vehicle.

This question will remain open and I will continue to work with you even after you accept. The question will remain active for 7 days after our last communication.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This looks like a difficult job to do in the driveway on jackstands.

The service place wanted to charge me $236.00 for the alignment - inner tie rod end- and labor------What do you advise--- I have never tried this and I am afraid i will not have room on the ground to do the work????

Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
You are right, you don't want to do it in the driveway. That is a good price and is worth it to have it done and over with including the alignment.
Neal, Buick Mechanic
Experience: Experienced in most makes. Many years family business.