GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Buick Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

my 1996 Buick Park Avenue engine shuts down occasionally while

my 1996 Buick Park Avenue engine shuts down occasionally while driving, but will start back up within a few seconds. Does so more often in warmer weather
Category: Buick
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

This is usually a bad crank shaft sensor. This sensor under the harmonic balancer is common for causing a stalling issue with no codes set or a check engine light on after.

These are bad for interupting the signal and making it think there is no signal and the engine stalls.

The sensor is cheap enough, under 100$ for the sensor and you need only remove the hamonic balancer to get at this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I said I already replaced the crank shaft sensor. Wht else could it be?
Sorry, for some reason it had not posted through. When you replaced it, did you check the condition of the pins in the connector of the crank sensor? Are the terminals loose or chaffed?

how about the ground wire up under the bracket that holds the igntion module?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, I did. The terminals were not loose or chaffed. The ground wire was OK too
Ok then the is there fuel in the vacuum line of the fuel pressure regulator?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I check that?
on the front of the fuel rail, simply pull the vacuum line off and look for the presence of fuel.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's too dark now. I'll have to check it in the morning. Is there supposed to be? What should I do either way? Also, is there any other possiblies?
There is not, and if there is then replace the regulator.
IF not then we are looking at the igntion control module itself.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I guess I'll have to wait untill tomorrow before accepting your answer. Thanks a million for all your help. Hopefully I'll get you again tomorrow. Cool
no problem. Let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I find the fuel pressure regulator, and the ignition control module, and before I buy a ICM, could it be something else?
The pressure regulator is in the front of the fuel rail, small 1.5" canister with a vacuum line to it.
The igntion control module is under the spark plug coil packs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no fuel present in the pressure regulator. Before I buy an ignition control module, could it be something else?
I don't see much else that it can be, and the module is a very common failing part on this. Just check the wiring to it and around it again to be 100% sure.