Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Had service engine light on for code P1651 Fan 1 Relay Control

Had service engine light on for code P1651 Fan 1 Relay Control unit, for a 1998 Buick Century 6 cylinder.
Local repair shop replaced relay and reset the system, service light came on again, they now say the computer has to be replaced by DEALER who has to flash the saftware as well on it. What are my other options or recommended cures?
Thank you,
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. Computer does need to be replaced assuming correct tests were done to verify problem..A easy way to verifhy PCM is bad is to Ground the Dark Blue wire in pin 31 on the Blue connector. Check for the puller cooling fan to turn on and if fan turns on this proves wiring/relays is good and PCM needs to be replaced...You can buy a used pcm from www.car-parts.com to save money but either way dealer needs to install/program. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.