Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

1995 Buick LeSabre: Cuts out while driving but can be restarted

1995 Buick LeSabre Cuts out while driving but can be restarted right away. What can I check?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Daryl replied 2 years ago.
At what speed do this happen? Does this always happen? How far do you need to drive this before it happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
between 50-60 MPH Some times it dies completley some times it just stalls and keeps running. Some times when comming to a stop it dies & sometimes taking off from a stop it will die. It usual yhappens after abpout 10minutes of driving. Last night after work I had to try and start it 6 times before it started. usualy it starts on the first try.
Expert:  Daryl replied 2 years ago.

Can you tell me how much fuel pressure you had when it was tested? Also was it tested when the problem was happening?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Fuel preasure is 48PSI engine idling vacum line hooked to preasure regulator. 56Psi with the vacum line detatched and the engine @ idle running. Just turning the key on after hooking the guage engine not running 52PSI. I left the guage conected and it did not drop after 5 minuts.

No It was not tested when I was having the problem. I could put an extension on the tester hose and run it into the driver compartment. While I was waiting for you reply I removed & tested all of the coils. i took the ignition module to Auto Zone and they tested it. Everything tested good. The car has only a little over 90K orignial miles.

Expert:  Daryl replied 2 years ago.
Ok yes getting that pressure when happening may be helpful, also when it dies and you restart it is seems to run good? or will it die again right away or maybe when you put it in gear?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It starts right back up and runs good for a while then it will die again after a while. There is no warning like rough running it just cuts out like someone is turning the ignition off. It was doing the same thing a couple of weeks ago except it would not restart in nuetral so you had to come to a complete stop and place it into park to start it back up. it had a code that the transmission switch was out of range. it turned out the PRNDL switch was loose on the transmission. I adjusted and tightened it. It didn't stall out again for a couple of weeks but it seems to be acting up agian. You don't think the cruise control servo position sensor has anything to do with it cutting out?

Expert:  Daryl replied 2 years ago.
No the servo position sensor should not make the vehicle die like that, I am suspecting the crank sensor with it being so intermittent it would be nearly impossible to test it so you might just try replacing it. This particular vehicle also has some problems with the computer causing this so I would try tapping on the computer with you hand to see if you can get it to stall by doing that if it does the computer is bad.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will give the tap the computer a try if nothing then i will replace the crank sensor. I will let uyou know before accepting.

Thanks ahead of time

BOB

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What should thje air gapon the crank sensor be? I see a special tool in my manual but no air gap listed for the CKP?
Expert:  Daryl replied 2 years ago.
There really is no air ga spec that tool sets the gap, but if you can get it in there just so it does not hit the pulley fins it will be fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have an auto x-ray code reader. I placed it in monitor mode and I noticed that the intake air temp said 82.7 Degrees when the outside air temp is acutaly 45 degrees. So I tested the intake air tempo sensor in the air cleaner it siad 5007 ohms wich is about correct. What could this meen? Could this be part of the problem? If I unhook the intake air sensor with the engine running the temperature drops to about 22 deg F.??
Expert:  Daryl replied 2 years ago.
Yes that can be part of the problem, that ohm reading should vary depending on the temp outside, that sensor also may be a bit higher than the air temp depending on how warm the engine is.
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience: 28 years experience, Master Mechanic