Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Buick Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

1998 buick: wont light

Customer Question

How do I disable the security system of myXXXXX
Bought it used had to replace the battery and now car won't turn over and the security light will not go out.
I tried the 10 minute interval reprogramming method, but light won't go out after 10 or 15 minutes.
Any thoughts?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 4 years ago.

There is no way 'disable' the security system. It can be by-passed with a module that you can purchase and install, but there is no specific one reset for it alone.

These systems were very sensitive to voltage change after time and when you replaced the battery it could have 'spiked' the module along with a host of other components.

The way it is to be diagnosed is with a special scanner that can access the security module and see where the problem lies. If the light does not go off after the relearn procedure it usually indicates a module failure.

Try this. Remove both battery cables and hold them together for 30 seconds and install them back on the battery. This will reset all modules and then try to start it, if no start. See if the light will now go off after 10-15 minutes.

Let me know what you find please.