KBB
KBB, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  5 PLUS YEARS OF GM EXPERIENCE, BUICK,PONT.GMC TRUCK.

BUICK LeSabre Custom: how to remove 2002 buick lesabre valve

Customer Question

how to remove 2002 buick lesabre valve cover?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
which cover do you need to remove ? the back one near the firewall or the front one near the radiator ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is the back one near the firwall, I need to replace the valve gasket to fix the oil leaking but there are some metal hose and stuff above this valve so I could not get to the bolt head to remove them. I have already replace the front one valve gasket near the radiator. Thank you and regards,
Paul
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
removing that back valve cover requiers alot of disassembly and time to remove .follow this here that i sent you.print it out or save it to your computer as the pictures time out quickly.

Valve Rocker Arm Cover Replacement - Right

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the fuel injector sight shield.
  2. Disconnect the right spark plug wire harness and position aside.
  3. Remove the drive belt tensioner.
  4. Remove the AIR valve/pipe.
  5. Disconnect the vacuum brake booster hose from the vacuum connections and position aside.
  6. Remove the two nuts attaching the fuel injector sight shield bracket to the right exhaust manifold studs.
  7. Remove the fuel injector sight shield bracket.

1. Remove the right valve rocker arm cover bolts.

Important: If the valve rocker arm cover adheres to the cylinder head, remove the valve rocker arm cover by bumping the end of the valve rocker arm cover with the palm of your hand or a soft rubber mallet.

1. Remove the right valve rocker arm cover.
  2. Remove the right valve rocker arm cover gasket.
  3. Clean the sealing surface on the cylinder head.
  4. Clean the valve rocker arm cover bolts of all thread locking adhesive.
  5. Clean and inspect the valve rocker arm cover.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the new valve rocker arm cover gasket. Make sure that the valve rocker arm cover gasket is seated properly in the valve rocker arm cover groove.
  2. Install the right valve rocker arm cover to the cylinder head.
  3. Apply thread lock compound GM P/N 12345493 (Canadian PIN 10953488) or equivalent, to the valve rocker arm cover bolt threads.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install the right valve rocker arm cover bolts.
    • Tighten the valve rocker arm cover bolts to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.).

1. Install the fuel injector sight shield bracket.
  2. Install the two nuts attaching the fuel injector sight shield bracket to the right exhaust manifold studs.
    • Tighten the fuel injector sight shield bracket to right exhaust manifold stud nuts to 30 Nm (22 ft. lbs.).
  1. Install the AIR valve/pipe.
  2. Install the drive belt tensioner.
  3. Connect the vacuum brake booster hose to the vacuum connections.
  4. Connect the right spark plug wire harness
  5. Install the fuel injector sight shield.

Drive Belt Tensioner Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Drain the cooling system.
  2. Remove the generator.
  3. Remove the heater hoses from the drive belt tensioner fittings.

1. Remove the drive belt tensioner bolts.
  2. Remove the drive belt tensioner from the engine.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the drive belt tensioner to the engine.

1. Install the drive belt tensioner bolts.
    • Tighten the drive belt tensioner bolts to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.).

1. Connect the heater hoses to the drive belt tensioner fittings.
  2. Install the generator.
  3. Fill the cooling system.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
many of the blue letters in your answer led me to a ALLData online site, which requires a log in name and passwork in order to get in, I tried how do I access the information over there?

Regards,
Paul
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
you can not.i can only send you what i did.i sent you the procedure to remove the valve cover and also how to remove the tensioner assembly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear GMWrench:

Sorry to bother you again, I just realized that you have send me some pictures between each remove and installment procedure but may be they have been time out because none of them seems to apply to my case, I saw some volvo a/c diagrams...etc, can you send them to me again, thank you and best regards,

Paul

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

3. Remove the drive belt tensioner.
  4. Remove the AIR valve/pipe.

1. Remove the right valve rocker arm cover bolts. Important: If the valve rocker arm cover adheres to the cylinder head, remove the valve rocker arm cover by bumping the end of the valve rocker arm cover with the palm of your hand or a soft rubber mallet.
  2. Remove the right valve rocker arm cover.
  3. Remove the right valve rocker arm cover gasket.
  4. Clean the sealing surface on the cylinder head.
  5. Clean the valve rocker arm cover bolts of all thread locking adhesive.
  6. Clean and inspect the valve rocker arm cover.

Installation Procedure

3. Apply thread lock compound GM P/N 12345493 (Canadian PIN 10953488) or equivalent, to the valve rocker arm cover bolt threads. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  4. Install the right valve rocker arm cover bolts.

1. Install the AIR valve/pipe.
  2. Install the drive belt tensioner.

6. Drain the cooling system.
  7. Remove the generator.
  8. Remove the heater hoses from the drive belt tensioner fittings.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the drive belt tensioner to the engine. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  2. Install the drive belt tensioner bolts.

2. Install the generator.
  3. Fill the cooling system.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Mr. GMWrench: The photos you send to me made me think that you may have given me the procedures to remove the (front)valve cover near the exhaust manifold and radiator, which I have already done the repair (replaced the gasket) a couple months ago. I need help on remove the other (rear) valve cover which is near the firewall.

I can see that there are metal tubes along both the front side and rear side of this valve cover, connected in the middle with a up-side-down U-shape tube, which sort of block the valve cover. Looking at what the are connecting to, my guess is that this may be the fuel injector tube lines?

without removing these tubes, it does not seem to me that I can remove the valve cover and I could not get to at least one or two of the bolts that hold the cover.

Did not see anything in your instruction about these tubes, or may be I did not understand you?

Another general question, I assume that if there is a big arrow in any of the diagrams, the arrow is toward the front of the car, correct? How about right or left - am I sitting in the driver seat facing front? or am I standing in front of the car, facing the back?

Thank you and regards,
Paul
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
let me see what the other experts have to say hang on and another expert will reply back to you
Expert:  KBB replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using just answer.Is there anything that i can help you with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, KBB:

I need to replace the 2002 Buick LeSabre Custom Valve cover gasket to fix a oil leaking problem, have already fixed the one in the front, (near the radiator) a few months ago, need some help on how to remove the valve cover in the back (near the firewall), have talked to Mr. GMWrench as you can see from our previous email above.

Thank you and regards,
Paul

Expert:  KBB replied 2 years ago.

Hello i going to send a picture let me know if this is what your describing.

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it looks like it
Expert:  KBB replied 2 years ago.

Those are the fuel injectors with the fuel rail attached.To remove that assembly you will need to take out the four retaining bolts.Then gently pull up or slightly pry on the fuel rail with a little pressure.Most importantly watch each injector as removed so the injector O-rings do not get lost it has happened to me before.Before removal of the fuel rails bleed off the fuel pressure so that fuel doesn't spray everywhere when released.Let me know if you need anything else.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, KBB:

Thank you very much for your explanation,just have few questions: (1) how do I bleed off the fuel pressure? (2) when I remove the fuel injector, do I remove the entire injector from the engine combustion chamber? or I only disconnect the fuel rail from the "top" of the injector and leave the injector attached to the engine block? (3) are the fuel injectors just press fit into the cavity? from the picture you sent, it does not seem that I need to turn the injectors, just push it straight up or down, correct? do I need a lot of force to pry it out? (4) does the o-ring automatically fall out of the injector when I pull it out? or it usually stays with injectors, I just need to pay special attention to make sure it's there? (5) should I replace the o-ring at this time? can I get those o-ring material from place like autozone? or need to go to dealers?

Thank you very much for your patience, I really appreciated,

Best regards,
Paul
Expert:  KBB replied 2 years ago.

The easiest way i found to bleed off the fuel pressure is to remove the cap off of the fuel pressure test port.Then use a small screwdriver and press slightly on the small schrader valve inside with rag covering the outside to keep from spraying until pressure is bled off.The fuel injectors should pull out with the fuel rails connected meaning that if you stick a screwdriver underneath the fuel rail close to the injector and give a firm pull but not to hard the injector should dislodge.You make have to start at one injector and move to the next one beside it and may possibly have to back to the first injector until loose.GM has a special tool for removal of the injectors but i have never used it and i will post a picture so if you want to look for the tool at your local parts store.The o-rings should stay in place but once and a while they will stay stuck in the injector hole.You should be able to buy those injector o-rings at the parts store but you can get them at your GM dealer.I usually reuse the o-rings after a quick visual inspection of them and what makes them go in easy a drop of clean motor smeared around the o-ring.

INJECTOR REMOVAL TOOL

graphic

KBB, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 5 PLUS YEARS OF GM EXPERIENCE, BUICK,PONT.GMC TRUCK.