Aran
Aran, General Motors
Experience:  Buick Technician
56408184

my 2001 buick lesabre will not start

my 2001 buick lesabre will not start

Aran :

Hello Gerald I'm Aran and I will give you my best effort to try and answer your question completely and to your full satisfaction.

Has anything been replaced other than the battery?

Does it crank but not start or not crank to start?

Is there a security light staying on or flashing?

Are you looking to repair this yourself or just seeking advice at this point?

If you can answer these questions initially, that will help me to fine tune my answer to best suite your needs.

Customer:

no security light

Customer:

repair myself

Aran :

Thanks for the reply, to start with we will need to do a simple test. Have someone help you, find the fuse block under hood and look for a relay called START 1 RELAY. There is a legend on the bottom side of the fuse block cover. Place your hand over the relay and then have someone turn the key to crank several times and see if the relay clicks with each key turn to crank.

Aran :

Try this and let me know.

Aran :

Aran

Customer:

checked mini relay it is clicking in fact we put in a new one

Aran :

Thanks for the reply, with the relay clicking, then the next step we need to do is check for power getting to the starter motor. If you have a test light, at the starter motor there is 2 wires a BIG wire and a small (usually purple) wire. With someone turning the key to the crank position we need to test the small purple wire for power.

Aran :

If you do not have a test light, the other thing that you can quickly try is have someone hold the key in the crank position and then crack the starter on the case with a hammer a couple of times, if the vehicle then starts to crank over, the starter motor is bad.

Aran :

Try either of these two tests and let me know what you find.

Customer:

this is getting beyond my abilities i am taking the car to a garage to repair thank you for your help