Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

How much does it cost to replace a wheel bearing?

how much does it cost to replace a wheel bearing?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.

Can you tell me which one you need to replace? do you want parts and labor ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't know which wheel it is. the mechanic says it will cost about $350 to replace the wheel bearing. I guess that he thinks its one wheel.
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.

What kind of buick is this?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
regal. 2003
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
If I were doing this it would be around $240.00 using the premium after market wheel bearing, the rear bearing would be about the same. This is parts and labor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

first, any recommendations as to how to find a mechanic that would charge $240 in the Los Angeles area? is your estimate based on cost in a smaller market? also, as the mechanic has not removed any of the wheels, is it possible that he could suddenly find the bearings to be bad in more than one wheel? how would I know?

second, the mechanic also says that the noise I hear could be coming from the transmission differential, but there is no way to know without dropping the transmission. I feel that I'm flying blind. Can you help?

Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
My estimate may be a little low compared to your area but it should not be a 100.00 difference. I really can not help with the location to get the job done I would just ask friends or family who they use and try them, I am from Michigan so I have no idea where you could go. Usually a wheel bearing can be diagnosed without removing the wheels by jacking it up or taking it for a test drive and hearing the bearing noise. I would get a second opinion on the wheel bearing if the first shop can not give you a definite answer on which bearing it is or if it is a bearing for sure.