jonb9173
jonb9173, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20+ years exp.
32877453

Buick rendezvous: my ignition key wont turn..pass-key

my ignition key won't turn in my buick rondezvous 2003 with a pass-key III
Category: Buick
Expert:  jonb9173 replied 3 years ago.

jonb9173 :

Hello sounds like you need to change the ignition lock cylinder

Customer:

yes I get another lock cylinder from GM dealer and had it keyed with my key but I forgot to let them know this was a pass-key III system

jonb9173 :

If you had your original key keyed to the lock cyl it shouldn't matter. So you have already installed the lock cylinder?

Customer:

no I need some pointer with the system I have removed the covers on the steering colummn to expose the system there is a cover plate on top with a small hole in it

Customer:

the battery is disconnected

jonb9173 :

give me a sec let me check procedure make sure there isn't a trick to it

Customer:

ok

jonb9173 :

ok if the lock cylinder wont turn you are not going to be able to push the release pin since you have to turn the key to the start position push the pin then release it to the run position

Customer:

should I try forcing the key to the on position

jonb9173 :

I have had to break these out before but then you will have to replace housing too. Your going to have to do something to make it turn. Dont break the key.

Customer:

got it ...does the top plate come off

jonb9173 :

Yes but you have to remove the lock cylinder. Snap on makes a tool to push the pin with out removing the cover. it is kinda like a pick that is bent at the end

Customer:

ok is it something i pick at auto sotre

Customer:

store

jonb9173 :

Not sure about that. You may be able to fabricate something. But let me ask you the small hole you spoke about can you see a pin that moves when you wiggle the cylinder.

Customer:

no but I hat inserted a small flathead in the hole and it was moving when I tried jigging the cylinder

jonb9173 :

Then that has to be the access hole for the lock pin.

Customer:

ok I believe I was on the right track and will see what happens thanks and have a good holiday!

jonb9173 :

Now if you have a large drill bit you can try drilling out the middle of the lock cylinder have had success with that also hope you dont have to fight it too hard good luck.

Customer:

I will try it out

jonb9173, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 20+ years exp.