Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  17 years Buick Technician experience and training.
14928985

2007 buick: Heater blows warm, not hot air

2007 buick lacrosse. Heater blows warm, not hot air. What is the problem?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Does your vehicle have a coolant temperature gage or display and if it does what temperature is it reaching when the vehicle is warmed up?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it has a gage. It runs a little above the quarter mark.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
O.k.

This sounds like a weak or stuck open thermostat causing this.Usually the temp gage should run around the halfway mark when fully warmed up when operating properly.

With it only at the 1/4 mark the engine isn't fully heating up properly and this causes warm air out of the heater and not the normal hot air you would normally receive.

This should be double checked by a shop or dealer to make sure but from what you have described this does sound like the thermostat is at fault causing this issue here and needs replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Happy Holidays!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How big a job is it to put in a new thermostat?
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
Do you have the 3.6 or 3.8 liter engine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
3.8
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
This is a fairly easy repair,the thermostat is located under your upper radiator hose housing where the upper hose connects on the engine.

You would drain the coolant by removing a drain plug from the radiator (if equipped) or removing the lower radiator hose,then remove the two bolts that hold the thermostat housing to the engine and remove the housing by lifting it off the engine.

Then the thermostat can be accessed and replaced.

Usually about $30 for parts and about 1 hours labor.

Happy Holidays!